Most of us want to save money. And what better way to do it by saving money and saving our environment. In many articles, people suggest to ride a bicycle to work rather than driving or using public transport. This however does not suit everyone. Below are some helpful tips that you and your family can implement into your daily lives to save money and help the environment.
1. Replace regular light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs. These light bulbs may be slightly more expensive then your typical light bulb, however their life time is much longer and they use less power.
2. Keep your thermostat between 68 and 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Remember to also turn it off when you go to sleep or work. By using blankets, opening windows and taking off layers of clothes, it can save a considerable amount of money on your heating bill.
3. Eat out less. Restaurants use more energy to produce your meal as they leave stoves, fryers and other electrical equipment on. This is also more friendly to your wallet as it is much cheaper to make something from home than paying restaurant prices.
4. Use cloth diapers instead of disposable. Althought the thought of a soiled diaper can be unpleasant, using a cloth diaper is much cheaper and also better for the environment.
5. Invest a small amount of money into reusable bags. Many stores sell them so there are plenty to choose from. Use them at the grocery store, the mall, the library and anyother place where you may need to pick up a few things.
6. Finally, cut down on your water usage. Have shorter showers, turn the tap off while brushing your teeth and repairing all leaks can all help reduce the cost of your water bills.
Last Updated ( Wednesday, 24 June 2009 19:25 )